Sunday, August 24, 2008

Feast of St. Bartholomew........August 24


"In heaven I shall live amid joy since all trial will be gone forever, but here, below I must live by love."

St. Therese of Lisieux

Chosen by our Lord Himself
to be one of the Twelve Apostles.
He suffered martyrdom,
some say, by
being flayed alive.
The relics of the Saint are preserved
in the church of St. Bartholomew
on the island in the Tiber River near Rome.


The Latin words on the book mean, "The Gospel According to Matthew," who names Bartholomew as one of the Apostles.

5 comments:

peccatoribus said...

Is he being flayed by an angel?

Micki said...

Peccatoribus - Thank you for stopping by. I see you are a new blogger and I will gladly add you to my links also.

Good question...I don't know why the artist put the knife in the angels hands. I'm sure we are not to think of an angels flaying him.
I'm sure someone will come and give a better answer.

Ed Sousa said...

Thank You for the Beautiful Holy Card Micki.
I think the image of the knife in the hands of the angel is just a symbol of the saints marthdom.
Telling us that his suffering and cruel death were caused by the way of a knife.
Maybe that's what the artist had in mind.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Ed. The angel is holding a symbolic knife.

The Latin words on the book mean, "The Gospel According to Matthew," who names Bartholomew as one of the Apostles.

John

Micki said...

Ed - I believe you are correct. But it is a little shocking to see the angel with the knife. Thanks.

John - Another great fact to add to the post. Thank you.